I love a random bargain so when I found these little Jonathan Adler style tea light holders on sale in Tesco for €2.00 each I had to buy them.
They’ve been on a shelf in my utility cubby since last Oct but Spring has sprung so I decided to dig them out & make them pretty (brown is soooo not a Jonathan Adler colour!).
I used ‘Pure Aqua’ & ‘Lime Green’ both from the Mode range by Rust-Oleum because it leaves a super glossy finish… & also because I had them left over from another (less successful) project..ahem. Oh & I had a small can of regular matt gold so I used that too, just for good measure.
I didn’t want the paint on the top or bottom of the holders to get smushed while drying (so annoying) so I had a rummage through the glass jars under the sink ’till I found one that fit neatly & hey pesto, perfect fit! (see what I did there?).
For the first coat I popped the holder on top of the jar, this allowed the spray paint to go through the fretwork, effectively painting the inside (clever I know!) it also meant I could twist the jar to coat all sides evenly.
When the first coat was dry, I flipped the holder over so it sat over the jar this time, this allowed me to get into the fiddly grooves underneath. The key here is that the jar is tall enough so that the holder stays suspended.. as such avoiding the dreaded smushing.
When the second coat was dry, I flipped them back over as per step one for a final coat, but you could easily skip this bit, the sun was shining so I was happy to keep playing.
(You can see in this pic how accurate the colours are).
That’s it, from drab to fab in under an hour..Jonathan would be proud!